Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Reasons to be Happy

It's -2 degrees and snow is swirling out of the sky and muffling the sounds of trains and traffic. The weather forecast says it's going to remain cold for the foreseeable future. I think we're going to have a white Christmas- I can't remember the last time that happened here. I know drivers everywhere in the Lower Mainland are cursing this White Stuff, but look at it! It's magic!

I sang carols in a beautiful church last night. Which was sort of a trip, because it was a high school Christmas concert, and I haven't been to one of those in a looong time. And not even my high school, to boot. All around me, alumni-who-were-barely-alumni giggled and goofed off and were generally their annoying 19 year-old selves. I wanted to strangle them. But then I remembered what I was like at that age, how giggly and raw and unfinished, and I forgave them, because I had been way more annoying. At the end of the concert the lights in this old church were dimmed; we all held candles and sang Silent Night, and these teenage monsters transformed into a heavenly chorus around me, and I looked up from my music at the choir teacher who had made me, all those years ago, want to be a musician, and I thought this is a perfect thing to do just before Christmas.

I love my job. And it's not over 'till the end of January. Greek tragedy rules!

I have a gig on Thursday with the Redboot Quartet and I think lots of people are going to come...

Did I mention it's snowing?

We finish rehearsals early- on Friday instead of Tuesday. Roll on, Christmas holidays!

No comments: