Saturday, May 31, 2008

Spring Fever

Cynical guy at the video store: "What does it matter? The world's gonna end before we hit old age anyway."
Proof that we're an incredibly optimistic/naive species: the Fertility Fest that is the East Van Farmers Market. So many belly bulges and gigantic strollers that it's hard to squeeze through! (and I attach no judgement to the sight of all those mamas-to-be... but for those of you who want to know my current thoughts on having kids: just know that I clutched my shopping bag to my (relatively) flat belly and waded through the mob with great pleasure at being One, and not Two.)

I just wrote this post, and Blogger in its great wisdom erased it, so I'm starting again and it'll be a little different than it was 10 minutes ago, because hey, I'm 10 minutes older, dammit. So what did I write about the first time 'round?

Oh yeah... Farmers Market: love it- kids, dogs and all. My first of the year, which is always a treat, especially when the weather is as gorgeous as it is today. Vancouver is truly making up for a long and incredibly dreary winter. Herbs, flowers, cheese, crafts for sale everywhere you look, the market spilling out of the parking lot and into neighbours' front yards as everyone rushes to spring clean. Kids waiting, entranced, for the balloon man or face painter to lay his magic on them. Dogs looking left and right, trying to track that one incredible smell. And all the people of my funky community coming down to check it out.

There was a look-but-don't-touch element to the market for me today, as J and I have just embarked on a 12-day cleanse. No cheese! No flours! NO CHOCOLATE!!! How will I make it through the week? What is left to eat? Oh I know, I know, most of the world eats like this... but I'm addicted, dammit! To sugar in all its glory! I smoked 5 cigarettes a day in Wells and dropped that habit like a dirty sock the minute I came home but deny me my sweet treats and I'm like a bear with a sore head. If you don't hear from me in a few days, send help- no, better yet send candy!

Speaking of starch-and-sugar-lovers... Zeellia came out of summer hiatus to play at a concert/lecture called "Songs Your Mother Never Should Have Taught You: erotic symbolism in Ukrainian folk music". I studiously avoided the tempting treats at intermission, and enjoyed finding out more about what these songs I sing really mean... let's just say that if a young, handsome Cossack says he wants to water his horse at your deep well- watch out!

Now that rehearsals for that event are over I find myself at a bit of a loose end again, and short of funds as well, arrrrgh. Since the weather is so incredible I'm going to try and get outside as much as possible. Not having a job to jump into is making me miss my new friends and experiences in Wells, although I'm thoroughly glad not to be part of the summer-long tour they're embarking on right now. I find myself slow to adjust in being part of a couple again; it's not that I want to fool around, it's just that it's hard to get used to having someone to report to and make plans with as opposed to just doing my own thing, as I have for most of a month now. Being basically selfish, it's taking me a while to get used to, and being basically a saint, J is patience itself.

No comments: