Tuesday, August 7, 2007

the road not taken

The feeling comes upon me these days when I see a poster, or check out a friend's website, or go to a gig. You could have been there. I see my friends playing music with their bands and I want so badly to be there myself. Never thought I'd miss it so much when I was spinning from one rehearsal to another, a member of 5 bands, never making any money at it, always busy.
Let me clarify. I am so grateful & happy that my stage jobs let me combine my love of music and live theatre. I am even more grateful that I almost never work at a retail job any more, trapped in the web of minimum wage, going nowhere, gathering bitterness as I got older. I know that I chose to be here and that I can't go back , and that my life is better now and I am a better musician than I ever was back then, especially since I've started practicing again.
I just never thought I'd miss the band stuff so much. So let me put this out there to the universe: I never wanted to be touring in shitty vans, playing dead-end bars and dodging beer cans. But there's more than that out there. Please send me more work as a live musician. I don't expect to make millions, even thousands. I'll pay my dues. But send me some band work. I'm good enough, dammit.

No comments: