Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Cheese Puffs Vanquish... Everything.

It would be easy to look at this period of the new year as a glass-half-empty time, if I were so inclined. But although I don't make resolutions per se, I have decided to look on the bright side of things this year. After all, there is so much to be grateful for right now. I may not have a job, but I have some money saved, for a change. The Post-Holiday Blues may lurk, but the the new year is about fresh starts, which is exhilarating. I may not be working, but that gives me more time to develop my own projects and schemes. I have already had the time and energy to try snowshoeing (which was heavenly, and I will definitely go again as soon as possible), hit the gym, and wander 'round East Van taking pictures with my new iPod retro camera apps, which are terribly fun, and make even the most pedestrian picture look fabulous. I may be finished with 'Brief Encounter', which is kind of hard, because I know that right now, they are rehearsing without me in Winnipeg, and a new accordion player is taking my place. And that is hard to take, quite frankly, because I really could have used that job. But on the plus side, I fly to Winnipeg on Thursday to visit my mom and see the show as an audience member. How many times do we get the opportunity to see shows that we have been in? Not too often, believe me. See how this works? I feel happier already.
And then there are cheese puffs.


Actually, they are technically Green Onion & Cheddar Puffs, but I made them with Cheshire Cheese, because that is what we had in the fridge. Along with some quite frankly past-it green onions, but since the oven makes even fresh onions limp, it didn't really matter. A large mug of coffee, 1/2 a dozen of these on a plate, and you are instantly happier than you were before. I guarantee it.
(You can see the recipe here. It's easy, fast, and utterly delicious. Plus it's hard to stay glum when the smell of them baking fills the air.)

No comments: