Thursday, November 27, 2008

Other People's Words

I had another post up earlier, a couple of fairly mean-spirited movie reviews coupled with a bit of a rant about divorce, step-parents and the media. And while I still hold with everything I wrote in that post, I think this song, which is on the new cd by The Breakmen, is way more eloquent on a subject that's close to my heart at the moment. I have a step-parent who's in the hospital right now, and my Dad is trying to keep it together up there in Kelowna- to work and live and try and be "normal" while his wife slowly dies. No other words- mine or anyone else's- come close to this song in summing up what it must be like for them, and what it feels like for me: to want to take on just a little bit of the pain they have.

Hospital Moon - by Archie Pateman & Mark Berube

I remember watching you dance that night, holding her like a dream you stole
I watched your heart, so pure, bet it all on her and let the dice roll
I watched you change direction that night, never dreamt of stopping you
Hope was the fire in her eye, in spite of a hospital moon

Give me, give me, give me a bit of your low, a bit of your low

Your knees are skinned from kneeling, your hands are wet and cold
Your eyes are tired from crying and wired from trying not to let them close
'Cause what will happen if she wakes up and you're not there?
What'll happen if she's all alone in that room?
Hope is her lover in a chair silhouetted by a hospital moon


Give me, give me, give me a bit of your low, a bit of your low

In a world of war and money, cancer and lies
Politicians running and and doctors coming in to sympathize
All that's certain is heartache, and love lost too soon
And the coming of a new day, and the setting of a hospital moon

Give me, give me, give me a bit of your low


No comments: