Friday, February 13, 2009

Forget April. April is only the cruelest month if you do your taxes. Which, not so much around these parts. (Please not to read, Revenue Canada.) February: that is the cruel one.
I don't know why, but I'm always scrambling in February. Always broke, and overworked both. (Except for last year, when I had no money and no job. Fun times.)
Exacerbated by the fact that there are so many days to "celebrate" in our little family of two. Valentine's Day, of course. Jon's Birthday. Jon's mom's birthday. Our anniversary. When you're broke and stressed, ya don't feel much like partying. Oh, and J has a "lower respiratory infection" this year too. Which mean he could fill a sink with all the phlegm he's carrying around. If he wanted to. If I let him fill sinks with phlegm.

In spite of the fact that work is piling up (which means that the dishes are too) and there is illness around, I feel pretty positive this month, and here's why:
I am trying to adopt a new policy of embracing the busy times instead of letting them get to me. After all, I did in fact ask for this work. Actively looked for it, in some cases. And will enjoy almost all of it. So why get upset when things get a bit hectic? The only real downside of being so busy means that every individual thing gets a bit less of my attention; well, I can live with that. No one's called me out yet for shoddy work, so I guess I can learn to be easier on myself.
We are also going out more right now: I saw two plays and a gig this week and it made me appreciate the arts scene we have here and my own small place in it.
And finally, we're going to celebrate the milestones in our lives in a fun, low-budget way. Some friends over for J's birthday. Dinner somewhere for the anniversary. A meal we can chuck in the oven for J's mom's birthday. (I love ovens! Why did it take me so long to realize they weren't just for nachos?)
The weather smiles on us and sends sun instead of dreary rain. I have work, and the promise of money soon to come. A loving man who sleeps, still, and hopes to shake his winter sickness soon.
Next time, I'll straddle the line between good taste and caution-to-the-wind: my next post will be about... sex and romance!

No comments: